Monday, March 28, 2011

The Voodoo Museum

In today's popular culture, "Voodoo" is often depicted as something evil, something that resembles witchcraft for instance. But it wasn't always seen as such. Originally from what's now the Republic of Benin in West Africa, Voodoo is (in simplest form) a spiritual system centered on God, spirits and ancestors. Voodoo came to America with the arrival of the first African prisoners in the early 1700s. During that time, Voodoo traditions were strictly African. But when slave deportation ended in the 1800s, African influence decreased and Voodoo gained Creole and American influences. To the Creoles Voodoo, with it's one God and many spirits who interceded for humans, bore a strong resemblance to the Catholic Church and the saints. So under Creole influence, Voodoo was merged with the Church (becoming almost an offshoot of the Church).


Hence it's not unusual to see crosses and statues of the Blessed Virgin amongst the voodoo dolls and potions.


The museum was opened in 1972 by the late Charles Massicot Gandolfo, a.k.a. "Voodoo Charlie." According to family legend, Gandolfo's great-great-grandfather Francois Daubert was saved from from a slave revolt by a slave woman named Jacquinette, who was also Voodoo Queen. As Daubert grew up, Jacquinette became his second mother and gained a dominating role in his life. It is said that through Gandolfo and his museum, Jacuinette's spirit lives on.


This is one of the art pieces from the museum, depicting history's most famous Voodoo Queen: Marie Laueau. A Creole, she blended Voodoo with her Catholic faith, and she was labled a saint by some, a witch by others. Both this and the next picture were painted by Gandolfo.










Another piece from the museum, depicted here is a Voodoo ceremony with a participant using a snake. The snake was said to represent one of the major Voodoo spirits, one who was the messanger between God and Man. When Voodoo first arrived in New Orleans, this snake was called "Li Grand Zambi" or "Ouncongo." Later when languages merged, he was called Papa Labas or St. Peter.

8 comments:

  1. Voodoo has always had a great influence in my family. However, my mom would always tell me it was nothing to play with. Voodoo always had a negative connotation when I would hear about it. However, it is not all negative. I would always hear positive statements about Marie Laveau and how she influenced creole culture. What is interesting to know is that there are two Marie Laveau, the mother and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one am very interested in learning about Louisiana VooDoo which to me seems a little different from the VooDoo that was practiced in Haiti. I'm glad you explained how VooDoo isn't necessarily evil because most people have a negative connotation towards it. I find it interesting that VooDoo is Catholicism blended with ancient Haitian rituals and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many confusions of what voodoo really is. Many Catholics fear it out of superstition but don't understand that elements of Christianity are incorporated within voodoo. I'm glad there is a museum dedicated just to the history of voodoo in New Orleans because it is unlike voodoo anywhere else in the world. the museum also allows any confusions about the practice to be clarified so that myths are laid to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting to me to read how closely blended with Catholicism Voodoo really is. From somebody who isn't from here, my initial thoughts about Voodoo was mostly just from stereotypical commercials i saw on TV and whatnot. It's so cool to me to learn real history about something that i was totally misinformed about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kateri How did Voodoo have an influence on your family? It had absolutely no influence on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember at my High School my religious studies teacher (it was a private school) put the voodoo faith in the same "not worth going into" category as Scientology, but after learning so much about the voodoo faith since I've been in New Orleans I really think that's unfair. Scientology is a faith that's largely based around making money and publicity and has only been around for around half a century, whereas voodoo is a highly cultural tradition that has very deep meaning and seems to strive only to help people through the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought that voodoo was kind of an evil thing because pretty much all I'd ever heard of it was voodoo dolls. I definitely thought it was like dark magic or something, not a religion. I think the voodoo faith is a very interesting one that comes with so much culture and extravagance. Being in New Orleans, I feel that I am becoming much more familiar with Voodoo and I'm really happy about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought voodoo was an evil thing. I used to tell people when I was young that I would do voodoo on them when ever they would make me mad.

    ReplyDelete