Monday, March 21, 2011

Louisiana Bayous




A staple of Louisiana culture is the many bayous that cover the Gulf Coast. People travel to the bayous of Louisiana from all over to go on

an exciting swamp tour. A bayou is a shallow body of slow-moving water, usually found on dry, flat lands. Alligators, crocodiles, shrimp,

crawfish, frogs, and other creatures call the bayous their home. Many Cajun & Creole groups

set up settlements along the bayous because of the

ease of transportation that they offered. The Acadians were the first group to do so, locating themselves on the Bayou Teche.


Swamp tours are offered all around bayou country. Also scattered around

the bayous are rest stops, offering "gator jerky" and other foods that

would seem unconventional in other regions of the country.


I recently was able to visit an old plantation located right on the

Yellow Bayou. The plantation was filled with beautiful oak trees that

were covered in hanging Spanish moss. A little dock led out to the bayou

itself, and I was able to go out in a canoe and paddle around for a bit.

Unfortunately, I didn't encounter any alligators or crocodiles, but

there were a lot of frogs. Also in the bayou were these little fish that

would throw themselves out of the water to catch bugs to eat. I would

definitely encourage everyone to try and make it out to the Bayou

country because it is completely stunning and an overall great

experience.


12 comments:

  1. I am not a nature person, but I have been on a swamp tour. I never encountered any gators either, which sucks. It is a beautiful experience especially seeing the houses out there. You would think the people are brave for living so close to the bayou. I would not want to come across a gator in my yard. What I love most is how it looks as though the trees are just floating on top the water. Besides the living creatures, I think the trees are the next best feature to the bayou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited a bayou in high school for a field trip, and I think it was the most fun I ever had on a field trip. I saw lots of alligators or are they crocodiles, I never know the difference. It was a long walk, you weren't careful you'd probably fall in the water, but the view was worth it in the end. I can't remember where it was I went, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swamp tours are nice for a fun, one-day outing. I'd never want to live there though. Especially when the mosquitoes get active in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on a swamp tour once while visiting family over in the everglades, but never in New Orleans. I think it'd be fun to go on one here too. I love all of the food like gator and crawfish that go along with the bayou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on a swamp tour when I was in grade school and I remember seeing three alligators. One was an adult in the water and we fed it meat. One was about the size of a human baby and rested in the driver's arms like a baby. The third was a little longer than my hand and I got to hold it. The driver even caught a poisonous snake and held it's mouth open so we could see it's fangs. It was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have gone on a swamp tour of the everglades, but not the swamps in Louisiana. I remember we did see some alligators, but I was six at the time, so I could be thinking of the stuffed animals at the gift shop. An interesting story I heard from a Cajun friend of mine who's from Lafayette is that whenever it would rain at her house during the Summer, I believe, alligators would come out of the swamps and start hiding under her and her neighbors' houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually don't think I've ever toured a bayou before. This post really makes we want to do so. Have you gotten a chance to see Bayou St. John in the city? It is so beautiful and there are a few really cool plantation homes along it but it definitely isn't the swamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would be really exciting to go on a swamp tour! I've never been to the bayous but I think it would be really interesting to see the natural makeup of the land as well as the lifestyle of living in a bayou area versus a city/urban culture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Plaquemines Parish, where I am from, there is a bayou called Grand Bayou. As a kid I grew up there. It's an amazing thing to actually see especially when the sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm dying to go on a Bayou tour. Hopefully I'll be able to go on one over Spring Break since I'm not going home. Any suggestions as to which one I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to the bayou, and I don't know how I'd feel about visiting one because I'm not a nature person. But looking at the pictures still shows the beauty of what was really dangerous to settle on turned in to a awe inspiring swamp land. I was also wondering do a lot of people live on the bayou?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find the culture of the bayou absolutely fascinating. I love nature and the outdoors and I would be so excited to encounter an alligator. I want to go on a bayou tour before summer. I have to be honest, I have heard that some rather interesting kind of people live out there but that may be a stereotype. It's kind of crazy that people elected to settle in these swamps hundreds of years ago. But then again New Orleans was built on a swamp as well.

    ReplyDelete