Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mardi Gras: Origins of the Beads


What is Mardi Gras without beads? While culture, food, and booze is an important part of Mardi Gras, beads is an essential part of Mardi Gras parties and the most popular souvenir thrown at parades (it also signifies good luck). It is now a Multi-Million dollar business and growing each year. Parade crews spend an average of $800-2000 per parade ride every year. There are two types of beads: the hand strung ones, the elaborate less common ones made of several materials. Because they are each hand strung individually they are the most expensive; the most common are those molded on thread and made entirely of plastic and are formed directly onto the string.
Beads weren't always thrown at Mardi Gras. It started around the 1800s for exclusive invitation-only balls. The tradition of throwing beads into the crowd of paraders started with the Twelfth Night Revelers, standing in the street shouting "throw me something, mister." However, beads weren't thrown until the 1920s by the Rex parade, who threw handmade inexpensive necklaces. The first toss was supposedly by a man in a Santa Claus costume. Then, beads were made of glass and imported from Japan and Czechoslovakia, today most are plastic or aluminium and imported from China due rising costs and injury from the glass beads. The first beads were all purple, green, and gold which hold special meanings. The purple represents justice, the green signify faith, and the gold illustrates power. However, as each year passes and the larger the celebrations, beads are now in every color and shape imaginable. (There are even some shops in New Orleans that allows you to make your own beads.) It's now even, mainly in the French Quarter, equated with boisterous behavior; men and women demanding folks show certain parts of their bodies to earn beads. This started around the 1970s, where the young people who gathered here lost their inhibitions in the carnival atmosphere.
As beads get longer and bigger, the biggest one 33" long, and in all shapes or decorations, the cleaning gets harder as more people come from around the world to catch themselves some beads. This year, about 200,000-250,000 people, which is half the size it would be in good weather, came for Mardi Gras. It requires the man power of about 400 people to clean up the entire New Orleans area if the amount of tourists were at its normal size. This year, however, only about an amount of seventy-five plus people was needed to do the job. The trash gets some much it can fill a large trash can, and takes up to three days to clean up all the trash and beads that litter the ground.
Another Mardi Gras has come and gone, and though the crowd wasn't as big as before, and people were a little stingy with the beads, it was a Mardi Gras to remember, and it'll only become better, just as the beads will get more and more outrageous and creative. This multi-million dollar business will only get bigger and bigger so long as Mardi Gras is here and people can't get enough of screaming "Throw me something, mister."

14 comments:

  1. It's amazing how beads came about. Growing up, I always used to ask why the colors of Mardi Gras were green, purple, and yellow, but no one could ever answer. It feels really good to finally get an answer. Tourists go crazy behind beads. I got a bag of beads during Mardi Gras and I gave it to the woman on the side of me and she was like are you really going to give these to me. I said yea. She said oh my your amazing thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea beads were a symbol of good luck. This gives me a better understanding of why people fight so hard to catch so many. I, too, found the explanation of the colors interesting. FInally, I'm always pleasantly surprised to find the beads on the street have disappeared soon enough, and I have always wondered how many people it took to clean up the grub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it fascinating how the idea of throwing beads (or anything for that matter) got started. Not suprising Rex was the first to use actual necklaces.

    Like Danielle, I also wondered how many people it took to clean everything up. Somehow, the number doesn't suprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that the types of beads originally thrown were imported and made of glass, considering we are so used to the plastic beads thrown today. It's always been amazing that strings of plastic beads are so coveted and sought after by Mardi Gras goers every year. I've always wondered who cleans up afterward, and how many people it takes to do the job. I'm definitely not surprised by the numbers. I was almost expecting it to be a larger amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that the beads represent justice, faith and power at their core, and actually mean something powerful and strengthening, oppose to portraying a consumerist and materialist message, which I think the beads have come to represent. Although I cannot be a hypocrite and deny that I love collecting goods and divulging with my friends all the fun goodies I caught, I think many people take this to an extreme. At the parade I saw parents using their children to collect the "good" prices or people running alongside the floats, knocking down people, spilling drinks and even twisting peoples ankles (as was the case with one of my friends)just to get the most, and the best, throw-offs. The idea behind throwing beads and other commodities, as well as catching them is both fun and a sign of good luck and power, yet the extent to which people go to beat out others for these items amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before i actually experienced mardi gras, I didn't understand why people wanted to catch beads so bad. I just thought they were beads. After reading this and going out and catching beads, I do better understand the want for beads. I really gathered that it's a part of history and it is just a ton of fun to catch them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was at the parades I was a little bewildered at the things people would do to get some beads. I was more interested in enjoying the atmosphere, but I will admit the occasional bead that I caught did have some momentary appeal. However now that I have a huge pile of about three different people's beads in my room, I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. So if anyone is interested in some beads, let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catching beads was one of my favorite parts of Mardi Gras. I didn't realize that catching them was good luck, but I was told many times that picking beads up off the ground was bad luck. I also never knew that the colors of green, gold, and purple held any significance. I'm not sure if I caught any of the non-common beads this year, but I will definitely keep my eye out of them next year! they sound cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so interesting! I have never thought about the history of Mardi Gras beads before. It makes sense to me now that Rex doesn't really change up their traditional beads very much. They keep the same design and I guess that is because they were the first crew to throw beads at parades. I really love the older clear plastic beads that parades don't really throw as much anymore. My parents told me that they used to make designs with them and then melt them in the oven to make stained glass. You can't do that with the beads they commonly use today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never really realized how expensive the Mardi Gras throws were. I also never really thought through what I was going to do with all the beads I caught that are now sitting in my room on the floor. I also heard that picking them off the ground was bad luck from some people but from other natives I was told it doesn't matter.I was also astounded by how crazy people got just to catch beads, because I've never seen people get that intense about anything really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @scottmaher Every year at Mardi Gras you'll get more beads than you'll ever know what to do with. My family likes to mail them off to friends/family but eventually they got sick of them too! Hah! When I was a kid I would sometimes make crafts with them. You can do all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After experiencing Mardi Gras it safe to say that for parade goers these infamous beads are equal to gold. I saw more people jumping and scarping for beads than i could ever imagine. It must be quite a sight to see if one was on top of the float throwing beads at all the screaming, eager faces. For me, getting beads was more for the experience. Bonding with my friends, while we screamed for beads together. I also felt close to strangers that I met when we would trade beads, and compliment each other on our awesome grabs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the best part of Mardi Gras is experiencing the people. Having all those people come and share Mardi Gras makes it that much more special. It is especially good to see it grow. I had no idea that beads were not always thrown. I figured that only Zulu was different because they started going out from bar to bar. Also, i found it interesting that the colors have a meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This being my first Mardi Gras, I absolutely loved trying to get beads. It really made me pay attention to the floats more. If only half of the expected crowd was in attendance I am scared to see what a "full" Mardi Gras looks like.

    ReplyDelete