Monday, March 28, 2011

Frenchmen Street


A street much more loved by locals in comparison to Bourbon, Frenchmen Street holds a lot of traditions dear to New Orleans’ heart. A great mix of camaraderie, music, Creole architecture and food, as well as installments of other cultures, Frenchmen Street is always alive with the spirit of New Orleans.


Aways down the river from the French Quarter, Frenchmen Street lies in “Faubourg Marigny”. Faubourg Marigny was a suburb created by Marquis Bernard de Marigny, a Creole man himself, which originally served as a housing area for colored mistresses of other white Creole men in the early 19th century. Frenchmen Street itself flourished during the beginning of the 21st century with a great number of live music venues.


Because of these Creole influenced beginnings, Frenchmen Street is full of Creole architecture. Many of the clubs, bars, and cafes are found in Creole Style Townhouses. Characteristics of this style include balconies and basic two to four story structure. Also, it includes features such as arched windows. These can be seen on the building of Maison, a popular jazz venue on Frenchmen Street.


pastedGraphic.pdf


Frenchmen Street is infamous for the countless live music acts nightly. Most of the venues feature jazz, such as previously mentioned Maison as well as Snug Harbor. Acts such as Charmaine Neville and Friends play at Snug Harbor, which is the act you can find there tonight. Here is a video of a previous visit of Charmaine Neville and Friends to Snug Harbor:




However, other styles of music can be found at places such as Cafe Negril, which features more reggae focused music. Margie Perez can be found playing at Cafe Negril this Wednesday, the 30th. Here is a video of a previous visit of Margie to Cafe Negril:



In contrast to popular Bourbon Street, Frenchmen Street has more local culture as opposed to a more monopolized tourist industry taste. Also, a little detail includes Frenchmen’s lack of bright and flashing lights, all the music clubs utilizing wooden signs. One more thing, Frenchmen Street will be kinder to your wallet. Instead of asking for a door price, most bands ask for donations to a man named “Philip”. This is a play on words, which really is asking you to “fill”-”up” the tip jar. Please be generous when tipping, as this is how most of the bands get paid.


Food is not far out of reach on Frenchmen Street. It is stock full of culturally enhanced cafes and restaurants, which serve both Creole food as well as Thai, Middle Eastern, and Italian food for example.

All in all, Frenchmen Street represents a lot of Creole culture as it has come to terms with other cultures around it. It holds true to many Creole traditions, but allows other cultures to take their individual stylings as well.

11 comments:

  1. I find that when Bourbon St. gets to hostile, it is best to head on down to Frenchmen. I find that Frenchmen is more catered to the locals and has a homey feel. Beside that, the food is AMAZiNG! I cannot remember the name of the restaurant, but it had some good poy boys. It is actually a few stores down from electric lady tattoos. Next time I go I will let yall know the name of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Bourbon Street or Frenchman, but I feel like I'd much rather go to Frenchman because of its rich New Orleans culture that doesn't seem to be overwhelmed by typical tourist venues. It was interesting to find out that the Marigny was used to house Creole mistresses. I would love to go listen to some bands on Frenchman too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Ariel. Places like Frenchman street will have locals, people who know the city best, rather than tourists. When you're in a new place, it's best to figure out where the locals go rather than head to the tourist traps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Frenchman Street, I go there any chance I get. My friends and I love hearing live music and the atmosphere of Frenchman is amazing. I agree that the most authentic New Orleans experience can be found Frenchmen. Another favorite place of mine to hear jazz is Three Muses and BMC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ironic that comments like "where the locals go" sound like something you'd tell tourists. People are locals because they go all over. I do agree though, that there're less tourists there and that makes it nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what Jimmy said. Also though, I've been to music shows on Bourbon and Frenchman, and the quality of music was way better on Frenchman. Bourbon can be fun too, but I feel like Frenchman is a way to better experience jazz in the city that basically invented jazz. I've never had any food down on Frenchman, but it sounds like I should try some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I am not a big fan of Bourbon street so when I discovered Frenchmen I was more than thrilled. Although I've only been a handful of times, all the experiences that I've had have been amazing! The music I've seen has been incredible and the characters I've met have been unforgettable. If you haven't been to Frenchmen I definitely recommend grabbing a group of friends and heading down town for a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the first things that my Louisiana friends strove to make me aware of when I arrived here was that Bourbon was a disaster and Frenchman is what Bourbon street should have been. Personally I hate Bourbon, it's always packed, the people are usually rude, and its insanely expensive. Frenchmen on the other hand is probably my favorite part of New Orleans. I've had so many wonderful nights there (mostly at the Maison or The Blue Nile) because everyone that goes there usually has one thing in common: they just want to hear great music at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Frenchmen St. The first time I went down there was when I visited my friend Haley here last year. She took me to Maison and we saw a live band, which was really fun. It was one of the first "concerts" I'd been to where I had no idea who the band was. I also went there this year for Halloween and also for Krewe du Vieux. I heard Flow Tribe play at the Blue Nile on Krewe du Vieux and that was probably one of my favorite nights since I've been in New Orleans. I think that Frenchmen is definitely much better than Bourbon as far as getting a real feel for New Orleans culture goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frenchmen St. is the best. If you haven't been to Frenchmen, I suggest you go. They have the most amazing food and bands. Every where you go your surrounded by food and bands. It makes you feel like your actually apart of the area and not just visiting a street with a lot of food and bands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frenchmen is such a great street. I didn't really spend much time out there before college but now I am there almost every single weekend. It is awesome being able to catch music everywhere- even in the streets.

    ReplyDelete