Sunday, February 27, 2011

The History of King Cake


The King Cake (also known as king's cake, kings' cake or three kings cake) dates back to around 12th century France where the coming of the three Wise Men to the birth place of Christ was celebrated. This was usually celebrated twelve days after Christmas, and was usually called the Feast of the Epiphany, or Twelfth Night.
The main part of the twelfth night celebration was the baking of the King's Cake, which was baked circular to portray the circular route that the three Wise Men used to throw off King Herod, who was trying to follow them to kill Baby Jesus. In the earlier versions of the king cake, there would be a bean, pea or coin hidden in the cakes--the person who got the hidden bean, pea or coin was named King for the day or said to have good luck in the coming year.
Here in Louisiana, the tradition was brought over by the Spanish and French colonists in the 18th century. The tradition of the king cake is associated with Carnival season, which starts after Twelfth Night celebrations, and extends all the way through Mardi Gras day. Instead of beans, peas or coins being hidden in the king cakes now, there are small plastic babies (resembling Baby Jesus) hidden, and whoever gets the plastic baby in their piece of king cake, is expected to provide the next king cake or host the next Mardi Gras function. Cajun king cakes are generally deep-fried like donuts--the most common variants of the Cajun king cakes are filled with cream cheese or praline.
King cakes are also eaten on January 6, el Día de los Reyes in Spain and other Latin
American countries. Día de los Reyes literally means "Kings' Day", and it is another variation of the celebration of the three Wise Men that visited Baby Jesus. In most Latin American Countries, Día de los Reyes marks the end of the holiday season, and children receive presents from the three Wise Men on this day. The tradition of the bean, candy or plastic baby is also followed, and whomever receives either of the hidden trinkets in their piece of king cake must take it to the nearest church on February 2nd, Día de la Candelaria (Candlemas Day), which celebrates the day that Jesus was presented in the Temple.
King cakes have made it all the way from the 12th century to today, and whether it be in France, Spain, Latin America or Louisiana, the main traditions remain the same--you find the baby, you provide the next king cake.

15 comments:

  1. I don't really like king cake, but I think its pretty cool all the effort that goes behind making them and the history behind them. In my opinion, the French started it, but I think New Orleans made it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that king cakes were connected to the three wise men, so that was interesting to read about. I absolutely LOVE king cakes, but never had a deep fried one. I remember when I was little looking to see if i could find the baby sticking out, so that I could get it. As I got older, and had a little money, that all changed. Finding the baby was the worst. However, I do like the french tradition better with the crown. Its cuter and cheaper. What I love most is how diverse the king cakes can be just like New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know when I was little I used to look to see if I can see the baby sticking out too. I really love king cakes and it's amazing how they can come in all different kinds of flavor. I didn't know that the link back so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love king cake, and I don't think Mardi Gras would be Mardi Gras without it. I wish the original tradition (getting the hidden bean, pea, or coin, being named king for the day and having good luck in the coming year) had been retained. I like that concept much more than today's "get the baby buy the next cake" tradition. I had never heard of a cajun king cake until reading this post, but I definitely want to try one now. It's amazing to know that the king cake tradition is celebrated in other countries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember as a kid, I hated king cake and I would only get a piece in hopes for the baby. Now, it's the opposite. I also love how Cajun king cakes are deep-fried. It seems like everything is fried down here. Not that I'm complaining....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to try a Cajun fried king cake. I've had a fried Oreo and it was really good, so I'm guessing that king cake will translate also. I think that it is so interesting to learn about all these classic Catholic traditions that I've never heard of before even though I grew up Catholic. I'm glad I got to learn about king cakes, especially the cream cheese one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family on my dad's side is Hispanic so I knew Latin American's celebrated Kings Day. But I didn't know they had king cake also. So that's really cool. Also, like Danielle, I used to dislike king cake but I think it's growing on me, so I wonder what Latin American king cake is like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. King Cake is sooo delicious, its one of the best things I've been exposed to since I've moved to New Orleans. Its interesting to know that Spain also has King Cakes because I attributed solely to New Orleans tradition. I also enjoyed the pictures you posted because I am used to seeing the King Cake they serve at CC's or in the OR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The history of king cake is so cool. We never really learn the whole story. I think it is a shame that the meaning behind the baby has become so insignificant here though. The fact that before, it represented good luck, and in Latin American and Spanish culture it is associated with the presentation of Jesus in the temple. I remember in daycare, getting the baby was the cool thing to do. I guess that was because we didn't know about having to buy the next cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back when I was living is Austin we used to always get king cake on Mardi Gras day (mostly back in elementary school). Back then I did not really associate king cake with New Orleans or even French culture; I merely thought that it was a tradition that was carried out by the whole country. But since I've been here to my surprise many people that came to Loyola from northern states have often never even had a king cake; at least from the people I have talked to. When I came to New Orleans I had no idea that both king cake and Mardi Gras would be something that was celebrated months in advance to Mardi Gras day. In all honesty I don't see what the hype is about for king cakes, but they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my first piece of King cake this semester. I had previously known about the tradition of finding the baby, but until this year I didn't realize the importance the King Cake truly holds in history and the Mardi Gras season. About a week ago I had a piece of King cake that was filled with berries. That has been my favorite cake that I've tried thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about the king cakes in Latin America, so I asked a friend about it. In Argentina they don't eat "king cakes", but a pasty that looks similar (but doesn't taste nearly as good)

    Here's a picture of an Argentine rosca:
    http://www.cocina.org/wp-content/uploads/Rosca-de-Reyes.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. These past few weeks I feel like I have been eating sooo much king cake, so it was cool to learn about how it came to be. It is so delicious and I think that the Biblical ties are interesting and remind us of why we have this incredible carnival season. My grandmother does make a cake like this on Dia de los Reyes, so now it all makes sense. I am sad that we have to stop eating it after Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the most interesting thing is that king cakes are not only in New Orleans. I also appreciated sampling king cakes in class the other day- it was really cool to compare French traditional King cake and how it changed into the king cake we know today, in New Orleans. I love the whole tradition behind king cake and the elements of tradition even to who will buy king cake next year by who gets the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had never even heard of King Cakes before I came to school in New Orleans. I only tasted my first one two days ago, and they are really good. I like that there is a story behind them, and although the idea of hiding a baby or a little treat inside it is weird, and possibly a bit dangerous, I love it! I think its interesting that they are also in Spain, because I lived in Spain for three months and yet I never heard of them. But, I was there in summer so I guess it makes sense that I didn't encounter them. I can't wait to enjoy some yummy king cakes during the rest of Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete