Monday, February 14, 2011

Deliciousness


Creole life is centered around food. The meals themselves are true tradition. Each Creole family has a variation to each dish but in the end, it is all Creole. It has several origins including African, French, Spanish, Italian and Native American. One could say that it is a "gumbo" of cultures. African slaves brought things like rice and okra to Louisiana where they were able to grow small gardens for their own food. Most meals were made all in one pot. The use of butter, braising and the idea of sauces and gravies is very French. The introduction of beans and the use of peppers and spices comes from the Spanish. Native Americans introduced seafood. Slaves learned how to grow the foods that they brought from home from the Native Americans. The Choctaw introduced them to the sassafras tree. The leaves are dried and ground into something called file (fee-lay). This is used as a spice to add heat to gumbos. Creole food developed through the collaboration of culinary ideas. Slaves cooked for their masters. They altered different things to satisfy their masters' tastes. There are hundreds of different dishes that come out of this tradition. A few of them are: Gumbo, Maque Choux (mock shoe), Grillades, Crawfish Bisque, Jambalaya, and Mirlitons.

Gumbo is a soup cooked in a huge pot. It starts off with a good Andouille Sausage, a roux (I'll talk about this later), and either seafood, chicken, or okra. It is always served over rice.

Maque Choux is a dish made of corn, onion, garlic, tomato, bell pepper and butter.

Grillades are a type of steak that is browned and then cooked down until extremely tender in a tomato/meat gravy.

Crawfish Bisque is a labor intensive dish. The shell of the crawfish is used to stuff a dressing of crawfish, oinon, garlic, bell pepper, minced crawfish, and other ingredients. They are then lightly floured, browned and are served in a light sauce.

Jambalaya is similar to the Spanish Paella. It is a rice cooked with a very light amount of tomato sauce. It is mixed with shrimp, sausage and chicken.

Mirlitons are a fruit in the squash family that are cooked down with onions and garlic and shrimp.
In order to really get to know Creole food, I think you should get to know someone who makes it.
I would like to introduce you to my grandmother, Mathilde Savoie Smith.

She was born in Edgard, Louisiana. She is the second of nine children. Creole was spoken in her home along with English. Everyday, her mother fixed meals that my grandmother now fixes for us. She moved to New Orleans at 18 years old and now lives in the upper 9th Ward.


This is her new kitchen.


She lost the old one to six feet of water from Hurricane Katrina. She searched everywhere for an old O’Keefe & Merritt stove.

This weekend, I decided to go home to talk to her about the way that she cooks, and of course to eat. She prepared a simple yet rich meal: Fricassée.



This is a chicken stew that we typically have for dinner on Sundays. Meat is always cooked down in a gravy until tender and served over rice. We eat rice every single day unless there is spaghetti (which has a thinner tomato sauce and sometimes has shrimp instead of ground beef). The fundamental ingredients to Creole cooking are: onions, garlic, bell pepper, and a good roux. Almost every dish is made with roux- especially gravies. A roux (roo) is made of flour and oil or butter. The flour is mixed with the oil and heated in a cast iron skillet. It is a long, painstaking process that runs the risk of burning if you were to walk away or turn away for a split second. I have made a roux before and I must say, it takes true dedication. Once it burns, it smells horrible and you have to start over. The flour must brown to the color of Swiss Miss hot chocolate and can then be stored away and used in just about everything you make.

I really could go on to tell you about how to make several more dishes, but I will stop here. While In New Orleans, I would suggest eating as often as possible. Food is especially delicious here. If you know a Creole, I think you should ask them to cook for you. Restaurants just can't exactly replicate a real Creole meal. If you really can't get a Creole, try out some hole-in-the-walls. You'd be surprised how good the food is.

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true that the best place to find real creole food is at someone's home. Although restaurants in New Orleans are good, their dishes have nowhere near the quality of a home cooked meal. It was so funny to read about all of the things that your grandmother cooks (i.e. mirlitons and maque choux), because they are all things that my family members cook. Most of those dishes aren't found in restaurants, which is unfortunate because those are the dishes that truly embody Creole culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to what Malia said, nothing can compare to home cooked food because whoever does the cooking knows the recipe best. And this is obviously important with regards to Creole food. I didn't know making roux was so difficult, so other foods like the Crawfish Bisque must also take time and dedication. It's especially facinating for me to read about the foods because even though I didn't know of Mirlitons and Grillades, I grew up on Gumbo and Jambalaya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up in Louisiana, I have gladly been privy to Creole food as well, and I was interested and pleased to learn some history about it. To be more specific, I thought the combination of different countries' foods resulted in today's Creole food. I especially enjoyed the comment that Creole culture is really a "gumbo" of cultures. All in all, this made me SUPER hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best meals I've had in New Orleans so far has been at the home of one of friends on campus. Although neither of his parents are from New Orleans originally (both are from the Northeast around upstate New York, Connecticut and the like) they had lived in New Orleans for over 30 years and both of their families had connections to New Orleans. For lunch his Mom prepared shrimp etouffe with cornbread on the side, a special BBQ shrimp and a special French Bread with garlic and some sauce, along with Mississippi Mud Pie to finish it off. Although i was ready to unbutton my jeans by the end I could have kept eating more. New Orleans cuisine is truly unlike any other food I've eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it interesting to find out about certain foods that cultures take pride in. It became very clear that these were all very significant cultural dishes when multiple people responded saying they had many of the same dishes too. I also liked reading about how all the different cultures combined, each offering a different aspect to create an entire new kind of food which became very important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I am from California, prior to coming to New Orleans I definitely didn't know what Creole food was let alone ever thought I would try it. Gumbo, Jambalaya and Crawfish were all foreign dishes to me until a few months ago. I still feel like I have so much to learn about what Creole culture and food really looks like. I would love to eat a tradition Creole meal in a Louisiana home sometime before I graduate from college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food here is so good. I really am spoiled with my family's food and the great quality of the restaurants here. Nobody can cook like we do here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it really awesome that no matter what culture you come from, there are always similarities in the way families stay united. My grandmother is Spanish, but she lived in Mexico for most of her life. While she loves to cook for our entire extended family every once in a while in the States, her true passion lied in cooking in Mexico. Her favorite way of keeping the "Smith" family together used to be through taking Summer vacations to Mexico (usually either in San Miguel De Allende, or Nuevo Laredo) and perfecting her art there. Now due to the cartel fiasco that has arisen along the border of Texas (where I am from; Austin, to be more specific)and Mexico over the past decade, it has become too dangerous for us to drive across the border. So sadly, we have halted our family trips down South. However, all four generations of the Smith family still reunite every year, usually at my aunt's beach house in Galveston to enjoy copious amounts of amazing Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When deciding where to attend college the food here definitely was a huge plus and I could not wait to try all of it. I grew up on Spanish food from my Grandmother along with the typical New England seafood. The food in New Orleans really incorporates everything that I love. I love spicy, flavorful food. One of my favorite Spanish dishes is Paella, so Jambalaya is one of my favorite dishes here. I love the Spanish influence of the food here as well as the French influence. Blair's grandmother reminds me a lot of my own grandmother. My grandmother cooks everyday and she has certain pots from South America that are only used to make certain dishes. I just love all the crossings of culture here and how it can all be incorporated to make something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Growing up, both of my grandparents lived really far away from me, so I never really got to enjoy recipes that went back generations and generations. Blair's grandmother's good looks amazing. I really haven't tried any authentic Creole food since coming to New Orleans for school, but this blog post has inspired me to go out and find some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since I have been in New Orleans, I actually have not eaten that much creole food. I had Jambalaya a few times. The problem that I have is that I do not eat seafood so I get turned off of some dishes pretty easily. I was interested to see where people say are the best places to get creole food. I found a website that said what some people say are the 10 best restaurants to get creole food.
    1. Dick and Jenny's
    2. Clancy's Restaurant
    3. Emeril's Delmonico
    4. Jacques-Imo's Cafe
    5. Commander's Palace
    6. Galatoire's Restaurant
    7. Upperline Restaurant
    8. Arnaud's
    9. Emeril's New Orleans
    10. Court of Two Sisters
    If anyone wants to look more into any of these restaurants, here is the link to the website.
    http://www.10best.com/destinations/louisiana/new-orleans/restaurants/creole/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creole food is the best. There is nothing better than a home cooked Creole meals. You can get good Creole food in some restaurants but it doesn't compare to the home cooked meals. It's amazing how the can blend all these different flavors and cultures into one meal.

    ReplyDelete