Monday, April 11, 2011

Creole architecture is a tradition unique to Louisiana, incorporating a unique blend of styles taken from the Caribbean, Africa and Western Europe (primarily France). A home built in the
Creole style is going to have: a broad roof, a wide porch with French doors and windows along its length, a lack of hallways in the interior and a vibrant, colorful painted exterior. Creole homes have a wooden frame with bricks used for support. For safety reasons, Creoles built their kitchens outside of the home, in order to reduce damage should a fire break out. Two great examples of Creole Architecture in Louisiana are the Hermann-Grima house and Laura Plantation. The former is a Creole Townhouse in the French Quarter and the latter is a restored Creole Plantation.

The many windows and lack of hallways is a Caribbean influence. They allow the house to cool via unrestricted cross ventilation. In the summer one would open up all the windows and the house would stay nice and cool. Growing up here, even though I didn't live in a Creole house, my mom always did this to keep our house cool without having to turn on the air conditioning. It's more effective without hallways but even with them it'll work to keep the heat out. Broad, flat roofs were common on Spanish homes, and were brought to the Creole style by them. French doors and windows are, obviously French. The lively paint-jobs these houses received is typically credited to African influence. The Creoles liked to keep their houses brightly colored to set them apart from Anglo-American homes, which were almost always stark white.

Creole Architecture evolved into New Orleanian Architecture, and its influence can be seen in many buildings today that were built after the Creole-dominated period of Louisiana's history. Shotgun houses, an architectural trademark of New Orleans have similarities with Creole houses.
One of the most noticeable similarities is the importance of color. You'll never see a row of shotguns all painted white. Secondly, while shotgun houses lack a porch with many windows, they're built straight for the same reasons a Creole house is build without hallways. Shotgun houses are easy to cool via cross-ventilation.

The buildings here in New Orleans are very special due to the unique history this city has. Try to really look at houses when you pass them, and pay attention to their architectural qualities and where you'd think certain techniques and qualities come from. If you like art, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of just glancing at a house.

8 comments:

  1. I really like the houses in New Orleans, they remind me so much of my home, and i especially love the French aspect to the architecture. However, much like houses in Haiti, they aren't really built to stand up to a hurricane, and that's a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown to love my shot gun house. Although I did not know it had creole influence and my house is not as traditional(it has a little hallway). My house is also painted white and has a porch. So i guess it has little creole influence. However, I learned a lot about creole architecture.

    p.s. I always thought the houses were bright just because the home owners wanted to stand out or something (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the architecture here, it is so unique since most of the country takes its architectural influence from the Anglos, especially in New England. The unique, quirky homes here were one of the many things that made me fall in love with this city. I love how there are so many windows and they are so long, I thought they were just pretty, I did not know that they needed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was cool to read how the Caribbean aspects of the house work efficiently for the type of weather that the people have to deal with. The outdoor kitchen idea is very cool in particular. It makes a lot of sense. You always hear about people deep-frying their turkeys and burning down their houses around Thanksgiving time, but with that it wouldn't really happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to move into the Marigny/Bywater area because of the Creole architecture and its bright colors. The houses there take you back in time. New Orleans is so interesting because it is relatively small yet the architecture drastically changes in each neighborhood. I grew up in Gentilly. Gentilly has several historic houses with a Spanish/Mediterranean architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creole homes remind me of my house in San Francisco. We don't have any hallways, we have a flat, broad roof, and a big balcony on the top floor of our house. Also, my parents painted our house olive green with deep yellow and burnt orange detailing. Our house is also made of wood, but with bricks at the base. However, from looking at my house compared to the Creole houses, it is clear that they are very different and only appear similar on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the first time I went inside a shotgun house. Since I'm part of a big family, the little shotgun was a sharp contrast to my bigger house. But I didn't know it was for ventilation. That's very practical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother use to live in a shotgun house. The house she use to live in don't look anything like the ones they have today. Creole architecture is one of the greatest architecture ever. I love the fact that it is very unique and colorful.

    ReplyDelete